Tuesday 12 April 2022

Ground #362 - Weybourne Road

Date: 12th March 2022
Location: Sheringham, Norfolk
Ground: Weybourne Road

My second new ground of 2022 was on Saturday 12th March at Weybourne Road in Sheringham, Norfolk. The game was Sheringham vs. Huntingdon Town in the Eastern Counties League Division One North.

Weybourne Road is on the way out of town on the western side of Sheringham. It is part of a sports complex with a leisure centre to the north and a mixture of cage pitches, a full-size grass pitch and a cricket field to the west. The other two sides are taken up by an industrial estate to the east and housing to the south. The venue is half a mile west of Sheringham railway station. 

The ground has a single stand on its eastern flank. This consists of seating on the front row with two levels of concrete terracing behind. The back of the stand has a large gap between the edge of the stand and the concrete platform so needs to be monitored to avoid falling into it. The stand has a floodlight situated directly in front of the middle of it. The areas either side of the stand are uncovered standing areas.

The only other full side for viewing is the northern end of Weybourne Road which has a strip of hard standing with grass behind. The eastern section has no hard standing and is not advised as a spectator area. The two dugouts are located on this side of the field. Finally the southern end is definitively not a fan area with just a grass bank behind the goal up to the houses behind. 

The afternoon saw a bit of a dead-rubber game with 3rd placed Sheringham secure in the play-offs up against Huntingdon sitting in 11th safely in mid-table. The visitors took an early lead when Matthew Harris-Hercules netted in the 7th minute and this lead lasted until the 31st minute when Charlie Norman headed into Ethan Lane's cross to make it 1-1. A few minutes later the hosts went in front for the first time as a long ball up field was pounced upon by Kieran Hagan who nipped in to take the ball round the keeper and slot into the empty net. Into the second half and Huntingdon pulled the game back to parity in the 57th minute from another long ball greeted by Harris-Hercules who grabbed his second by tucking past the advancing keeper amongst protestations of offside from the home side and their supporters. Sheringham spent more of the second half in the Huntingdon final third but created few chances until the closing minutes. A good shout for a penalty was rejected in the 83rd minute when a home attacker was barged over in the box but with three minutes to go the hosts got what they wanted when Kieran Devlin's shot from the edge of the box hung for an age as it looped over the keeper into the bottom of the net to send the locals home happy.

Result: Sheringham 3-2 Huntingdon Town
Division: Eastern Counties League Division One North
Attendance: 66

No comments:

Post a Comment