Friday 23 July 2021

Ground #352 - The Nest

Date: 9th July 2021
Ground: The Nest
Location: Lakenheath, Suffolk

My second new ground of 2021 was on Friday 9th July at The Nest in Lakenheath, Suffolk. The game was Lakenheath vs. Soham Town Rangers in a friendly.

The Nest is a former chalk quarry located towards the centre of the village. The ground is surrounded by housing but by its nature sits in a dip a level below this. The village railway station is three miles north of the village and has very few services so the nearest station with reasonable usage is Brandon some 6 miles north-east of the ground. The Nest has been home to the club since the 1940s.

The entrance to the ground is on the western side. By this is a four-level all-seater stand (the only stand at the venue). To the north is a large clubhouse building with a concrete area in front for couple of picnic benches. The rest of this side is uncovered standing.

The remainder of the ground is pretty simple consisting of a strip of hard standing with large grass areas behind each side. This space will enable the club to add additional infrastructure should they wish to do so. The only other item at present are the two dugouts on the eastern flank.

The game was a friendly between Eastern Counties League Premier Division side Lakenheath and Northern Premier League Division One Midlands side Soham Town Rangers. The hosts took a 3rd minute lead when a corner to the back post fell at the feet of Dean Grogan who knocked in from close range. The 8th tier side should have equalised in the 20th minute when the ball was played into Declan Rogers who blazed over from close range. However just two minutes later Rogers kept his shot down when picking up a ball at the back post and shot low past the keeper. The rest of the half saw Soham on top but the sides went in level at the break. Lakenheath got the ball in the net in the 57th minute when Shaun Avis headed home but he was clearly offside. Barely a minute later the away side then took the lead for the first time when Jon Kaye struck. It should have been three in the 64th minute when a Soham attacker dispossessed a defender to go one-on-one with the keeper who made himself big and saved. The scoreline was then made much more comfortable with two quick-fire goals in the final five minutes. Firstly Cameron Watson was slipped in and slotted into the far corner from 12 yards past the onrushing keeper. A couple of minutes later a trialist rounded off the scoring which reflected a little harshly on Lakenheath.

Result: Lakenheath 1-4 Soham Town Rangers
Attendance: N/A

No comments:

Post a Comment